Monday, March 3, 2008

Juicy

Now, as to why Joleen calls me "Juice." That actually started my first summer of doing archaeology ever. I was still new to the whole surveying thing, when Wade sent Jo, Maggie and I out on our own to do an artifact inventory of the site we'd found a few days ago. And so off we trekked. Well, I had already learned that the best way to clean off lithics--or anyway, the flakes of stone taken off in the tool-making process--is to stick them in your mouth and lick the dirt off. That way you can identify by various traits whether they are actually artifacts, or just rocks, or you can tell what kind of rock they are. Let me tell you, it's rather disappointing to put a particularly dirty one in your mouth, only to find out when you take it out that it's just a rock, and you now have a mouthful of mud for nothing. Which is why, when I picked one up that was rather large, and had quite a bit of dirt still on it, I put it in the palm of my hand, and spit on it instead. A much preferable method, in this case, I was thinking, when Joleen commented that "Eew, that was a juicy one!" It stuck. I was Juice for the rest of the day, and have been ever since. A couple of my professors and various other students know me as Juice as well. Thanks Jo. :)

1 comment:

jo said...

You are more than welcome Juice!!

Jo