Friday, March 14, 2008

Another Explanation

I've just realized that I owe another explanation or two. Three actually. We'll see how many I get through before I feel like I'm being terribly dull. Actually, no, scratch that. Nobody says you have to read this, so I'm going to be as dull as I want to be!
The Willie Nelson nickname comes from...actually, I'm not sure; it's a little tangled. I've always liked his music, and naturally I got picked on for that by my siblings. Any fuel for the fire, right? Evidently they thought I looked just like the picture on the cover of the record...he was wearing a tanktop--I wear tanktops. He had his hair in braids--I often display the same hairstyle. Naturally that makes me look like Willy Nelson. So...my cousin Kyle began greeting me with "You look like Johnny Carson!" Why, I will never know. Well, I turned it around, and directed it back at him, so he changed it to "You look like Willy Nelson." And it stuck. One of my strangest nicknames ever. On explaining that story once to a friend of mine, he thought for a moment and then said, "Well...if you had a beard..."

Cupcake is another nickname I never would have expected. Sam's idiot ex started calling me that before he was her ex, because he knew it would make me mad. Sam liked it, and started calling me that. Super Dave heard it from Sam and thought it was funny. And it only spread. The Twins were calling me Cupcake before they ever knew my real name. Bron came up with the variation of "Tasty Pastry." I used to hate it, and getting mad when I got called Cupcake naturally made it funnier for everyone else. I have to admit, I am rather fond of it now, in a grudging sort of way. I mean, it's a horrible nickname, but used by friends, so that makes it a little less icky.

And, lastly, The Favorite Aunt. One of my numerous aunts has always said that she is the favorite aunt. So naturally when my oldest sister had a darling baby girl, my other two sisters and I began to constantly argue over who was the favorite aunt. It was undoubtedly Heidi, at first, or at least, that was the easiest name to say. BUT! I might be moving up in the ranks! I called to talk to her twice last week. Then Heidi called the next day, and Mom asked Katelyn if she wanted to talk to Heidi . She said "Yes!" (it's always a fully-articulated yes, never "yeah"), took the phone, and said "Hi Jessie!" Heidi said, "No, it's Heidi, Katelyn." "Hi Jessie!" she repeated. The same thing when she said bye later on..."Katelyn, do you want to say bye to Heidi?" "Yes!" "Bye Jessie!" "No, this is Heidi!" "Bye Jessie!" She knows it's Heidi, she's just being a little scheisster. But it's so adorably, naughtily cute!

There. Explanations of the profile completed. Any questions? :) How did I do, Christina?

5 comments:

Christina said...

Marvelously, my friend.

One question only, or more of a demand, that all this is going into one of those books of yours?

C

Christina said...

dash it all, I wish I had a bunch of cool nicknames.

Aethelflaed said...

Hehehe, sure, when I become famous for all of my other books, and decide to write my autobiography, I'll put that in there.

Don't you have a nickname or two, yourself? :)

duCrosby said...

Note to self. Don't call her cupcake when she has a sword in her hand!

Aethelflaed said...

Yeah, don't you forget it! Or I'll go Thumbslayer on you. :P