Friday, February 22, 2008

News

I don't know how much news I actually have. Let me think...

Things are going well in the state of Wyoming. Especially since it is now warmer here than where most of my readers will be! (hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!) It was right around 50 degrees this afternoon. It was lovely. Unfortunately, I spent all of that lovely weather inside at work, cataloging artifacts in between long, wistful stares out the window, wishing I could be running around exploring instead of cataloging. Let me tell you, burned bone bits and "debitage"--flakes of rock, that is--do not hold my attention when winter is coming to an end and the weather is warming up! Although, we are supposed to get more snow this weekend. Which is really a good thing, considering WY has been suffering from serious drought and they need all the moisture they can get.

Actually, Rocca gets me through the dullest of work days more than anything. Rocca is a Shiba Inu. Dog, that is. One of the guys brings his dog to work every day. In the absence of babies to play with, Rocca is the next best thing. Anyway, I'm just antsy for field season so I can get outside. I've been on two construction monitors in the gasfield and hour and a half away, which means we drive up there, check out a trench and say, "Nope, there's no artifacts in there," and go home. But even that was unbelievably entertaining, just to get out of the office for awhile. I'm beginning to realize that the outdoors is what attracts me to archaeology as much as the artifacts. I don't understand Plains archaeology. I mean, I know how it's done. But I don't know much about the cultural context from which the artifacts come. I told Wade so the other day. He voluntarily lent me his George Frison book so that I could learn more about it. The Frison book is his precious, and he has never before let anyone use it out of his sight. I got to take it home. He did tell me that if anything happened to it, he would take my first-born child. I asked, what happens if I don't have any? He said, oh, that I would have at least 20. I think that made my day.

3 comments:

rachel said...

giggle, i think he's right about the 20 kids! :)

we had about the same warmness here, but i too was inside at work all day. it looks like today is going to be much the same. i'll be working till 5, when it started to cool down from 50 degree. saddness.

Christina said...

50! 35 here today and I was just beginning to think myself lucky. Now I'm vexzh'd, as my word verification so aptly puts it. just vexzh'd. Don't think I don't know that evil chuckle was for me, Madam.

also, I'm going to guess having twenty first born children is one of those fantastical things one can only do in Wyoming...

C

Aethelflaed said...

I guess 20 firstborns would make the Book of Records, when you put it that way. :)