Wednesday, February 20, 2008

An Explanation

Since Sparkles has requested an explanation of the title of my blog "In Denial of the Existence of Tables," I am going to take a moment to do so.

It began, as many things did, with an argument between myself and Kaia.
"You know you love me," she said. I denied it, naturally.
"Yes you do," she replied, "or why would you have come in here to sit by me while you eat breakfast?"
"Because there is a table in here," I said.
"There's a table in the kitchen too!"
"No there isn't."
Evidently I said this last line with a perfectly believable expression and tone of voice, and she decided that she couldn't really argue with that.
(For those of you who have not been in my house, there technically is a table in the kitchen. But I didn't just admit to that.)
The story, however, continues, when another friend of mine, who had been in that house long before us girls ever rented it and who knows very well that there is a table in the kitchen, came over to visit. Somewhere in conversation one of us said "Yeah, well, there is no table in the kitchen!" He looked confused. So I said "Well there isn't! Go and look for yourself! " So he did. And came back looking even more confused. It was priceless.
Since then, whenever I want to win an argument, and can't do it by logic, I simply declare that there is no table in the kitchen. So the Mistress of Doom has dubbed me the Denier of Tables. I like it. Very much.

2 comments:

Christina said...

ah, brava brava! Now all that remains unexplored are the stories of schlepers, and thumb-slaying, Juice, and this supposed Willie Nelson resemblance.

but you're right, you're right, not all at once, got to keep them guessing.

xo,
C

Aethelflaed said...

Oh. Well, I'll have to do a whole series on that, I think! lol. One at a time. :)