Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Lion in Winter

Oh, how I do love that movie! I found it yesterday in the local movie/book/music store, and snatched it up. I rank it right up there with Shakespeare as far as writing quality goes. If I were wearing a hat, it would be off to James Goldman. (I guess I wouldn't really be wearing it anymore, then, would I?) The scenery and costuming always amazes me as well--it's the most authentically medieval-looking movie I've seen yet. They didn't try to dress it up at all.
It's not so much comedy as it is the irony in the movie that makes you laugh, and then at the end, feel sorry for the characters. Not because life has dealt them a rough hand, but because they've played it so badly. I'm more inclined to feel sorry for people when they have brought their troubles on themselves, interestingly enough. It's not nice coming to the realization that you've got no one to blame but yourself. I've been there. And then in the very end, hope comes, in the strangest of places, sitting on a cold, dusty floor in a castle cellar. When everything you ever had is now gone. Amidst tears, grim smiles, and despair. "We're both alive, and for all I know, that's what hope is," he says. Finding even that much hope in the deepest darkness takes courage. I suppose, you might say, the courage that a lion needs to face the winter?

4 comments:

rachel said...

very deep. but it is a good movie. i like it alot.

rachel said...

you are talking about the 1968 peter o'toole/katherine hepburn one, right? i've not seen the 2003 glenn close/patrick stewart one, though it might be fun to compare them.

Aethelflaed said...

There's a 2003 version? If I'm at your house for Easter, we may have to watch it. But no, I'm talking O'Toole/Hepburn. The classic one.

rachel said...

i'll see if it's available to rent. i've got the 68 verson already.