Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Things!

I feel like there are things going on in my life again! It's good to have things to think about, anticipate, plan for. Most of this winter I felt like I was stuck in a very dull cycle of work, home, reading or sewing, and bed. I guess I just hadn't come up with the right projects or something. Sorry if I've been crabby/depressive/boring this winter. It's all my own fault, I just lost some of my normal enthusiasm there for awhile. I hope I'm not developing seasonal depression. I don't need that! I think it's just an allergy to Sioux Falls/life in the city.

Anyway, my latest news, which you may or may not find newsworthy, but that I am rather excited about:

I've nearly finished my fencing coif. I'm almost inordinately happy about this. I've been fencing for several years, and have not yet made my own coif, though I've had gloves, jacket, mask, etc. for quite some time. This is something I've been meaning to do for ages, so it's really a big deal for me. It's a burgundy color, open in the front so it comes on and off easier, fits better, gives better ventilation. After a lot of frustration, cussing, yelling, throwing it across the floor, wastage of perfectly good fabric, etc, I have finally come up with what I think is the perfect pattern. And I'll be able to use it this weekend! Provided someone brings along a punch-test to check it, that is.

Next: Ides of March is this weekend! (To those of you who are not SCA--I do know that the Ides was days ago. We're just not celebrating till this weekend). So excited to see people! And it's the A&S throwdown, so I'm excited to see what people came up with for projects, and maybe get some ideas for one of my own. I was a bum this year and didn't do anything.

And: I'm getting a bike today! I haven't ridden a bike in years and years, but I decided this winter that it would be a good thing to have. It's going to be my escape vehicle. I live near the edge of town, but it takes a long time to actually walk and get outside of town from my place. Therefore, my evening walks are rather uninspired, and I've neglected the practice shamefully this year. But! with a bike I can get farther in less time, and hopefully reach a place where there is less noise, less traffic, and more open/empty/peace/freedom.

And this is getting to be a long blog post, so I will leave one last parting bit of news: despite the fact that it's back in the 30's today and is quite chilly, and the fact that we saw snow yesterday---Spring Is Coming Back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Spring Jessie! Glad you are getting a bike and that you are climbing out of winter into spring.
This has been a very long winter...I was reminded the other day that at least we who live in the north get to truly experience the passage of the four seasons.
All the best. Kelly

rachel said...

yay spring! and yay ides! i'll see you soon!