Monday, March 23, 2009

Field Season, with a vengeance

I finally got what I've been hoping for for months now. I got an afternoon of fieldwork last Thursday. We had a very muddy quarter-mile square bean field to survey just outside of town. It was pretty decent outside, a little bit chilly, a stiff breeze, but certainly decent weather for field work. I started off with a little bit of a cough in the morning. Nothing too horrible. By mid-afternoon the allergies hit. I could deal with that. By the time I got home I collapsed exhausted on the floor, curled up with a pillow and blanket and stayed there for an hour. By the time I went to bed, I was shivering uncontrollably and had a fever. At least Kaia told me so; I was betting on hypothermia, because my skin felt cold to me! Called in sick to work the next morning. Stayed in all day Friday, most of Saturday. Finally felt mostly better yesterday. Still coughing and somewhat congested today. I guess that's what I get for wanting so badly just to get out in the field again. Sick.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That's awful! I hope you feel better, and that you've learned your lesson!