Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"I Won't Go Back Without A Fight," or, "Cecil's Siege is Over"

I've had that little rhyme in my head for a few days now, the one that goes "Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other's gold." That's usually the case after a good event. It's amazing how I used to be so bad at meeting new people; SCA makes it effortless. Everyone is so friendly. Cecil's Siege was great--again--this year. We missed Curly Tom and Dave and Lu and Hrothgar, but most of the usual crew made it, as well as some new faces for Siege. I sat at Troll Thursday night and Friday morning, into the afternoon. I like working Troll, because you get to see everyone as they come in. The rest of Friday was mostly setting up camp, running errands for people, and sitting at troll some more with Kaia, Ralph, Tristram, and Hawaii guy--whose name I believe is Donnell, and he now lives in Aberdeen, SD. We like him, if you see him, be nice. I went to bed early--being midnight--because I was all nervous for fencing the next day, as I was Marshal in Charge, and I wanted to make sure I was plenty lucid in the morning! I think the fencing went really well; everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I never did get into fencing gear myself, since by the time all the main "games" were done, everyone seemed to be fading away pretty quickly, and I was too. It's hard work to stand out in the sun all day! But hey, I tired them out, without anyone getting sick or dead...that's a sucess in rapier!
I was so hungry by the time the hog roast came around, which was good, because there was a lot of really, really good food, and hunger only makes it taste better! Afterwards, everyone pretty much hung around the pole barn for hours, talking, drinking, telling stories, making jokes, singing, laughing...and wrestling. At some point, someone decided to start wrestling matches. I have never before in my life thought twice about wrestling, but this was pretty awesome to watch. It seemed like for the most part, the little guys were holding the floor. I wouldn't say that Drake, Steve, or Ian are necessarily scrawny, but compared to the guys they were up against, they were. I think Steve's win over the guy from Shadow's Co., and Travis's over Tarrach have been the most talked about. Heck, I was impressed, and I know nothing about wrestling, but it looked good!
After that settled down, I talked to Bron and Meredith for awhile. He tells me that he's found a husband for me. I had to laugh--it's funny, but kinda sweet too, that he always tells me he's trying to find a man for me. As this one lives in Minot, ND, I'm not really anticipating any new developments in the romance department, no matter how nice Bron assures me he is!
Afterwards, sat and talked with Rita, Daria and Sir Morgan for awhile. I'd only just met Morgan, but he quickly discovered a game that was new for him, but seems to be quite popular with many other people. It's called "let's see how deeply we can make Jessica blush!" I couldn't tell how red I actually was, but my face was pretty warm! He said he could feel radiant heat coming off of even my toes.
So many friends, not enough time to spend with them! I talked with Halfdan, Xandre and Tara, Steve/Finnbogi and Cheryl, Travis, Torimasa, Tom, Hagan...I miss them all already. Heidi came up from Norfolk too. She authorized in heavy weapons Saturday. I think she had a great time too, she had no trouble socializing, not that she ever does!
Sunday packed up, said goodbyes, helped clean up site, said more goodbyes, went to supper with Sam and Sarah, said more good byes, went to church, and went elatedly, but sadly home. I think I know how addicts feel when they're coming down from a high. I will go from happy to sad in the space of a minute, perusing through memories and images in my head. But...I have tickets for the Flogging Molly concert in Council Bluffs with Svein and Hagan on Sunday, so my feelings are somewhat assauged. :D

1 comment:

MissDoom said...

Sir Morgan is pretty awesome. I am glad he has moved to Northshield.