Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Practice your Penmanship!

So I love writing...I mean for real, by hand, not typing and all that. I've always been proud of the fact that my handwriting is really quite neat. With the possible exceptions of notes scribbled down quickly in class, or painstakingly sketched out in a field journal with no writing surface available besides my own kneecap, or hastily signed checks. Those don't really count. The point is, when I really sit down to write, the result is usually at least somewhat aesthetically pleasing, to me if to no one else.

And legible, most importantly.

I've been given the task of typing up a backlog of field notes from several years ago, which should have been typed several years ago, by their authors. I'm not entirely sure that their authors would have been able to make any sense at all of the scratchings on the notebook pages, and I'm definitely sure I can't. To make things just that much more fun, said authors have since moved on to bigger and better things (like England, for one. Not kidding. So not fair), so I don't even have the option of hurling their own monstrosities at them, and saying "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?" and then making them transcribe the awfulness.

If anyone has worse handwriting than the doctors, it would be the archaeologists.

The moral of this story is...practice your penmanship. Please!

2 comments:

rachel said...

try decifering (did i spell that correctly?) 263 middle and high schoolers' surveys. probably similar. i feel your pain.

Unknown said...

the yarn is on my website!